Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Fri Apr 25 16:33:57 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic schrieb am 25.04.2008 17:41:

> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:34 +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> But then I can blame Apple for similar problems :-)
>
> If you upgrade under time pressure with no backup? No, you could only
> blame yourself, just like now

No. If Apple wouldn't advice me to backup my data before upgrading I
really could blame Apple for losing data. In the FOSS world much
more experienced users are expected. One should know by itself that
one has to backup data before upgrading. There's more knowledge
assumed. None of my Mac using friends have any computational skills;
they really fear the command line. They just use their OS and it
works. They don't know how to configure a heterogeneous network on a
BSD system. And they don't need to, it just works.

>> So I have to make a complete new install for a new release? Is this
>> true? You can regard this as a rhetorical question as I'm getting OT
>> here.
>
> No, but upgrading Mac OS (say, from Tiger to Leopard (or whatever the
> cats are, I did not pay attention) will just upgrade Mac OS. You will
> have to upgrade all your applications (at least those that are not
> provided by Apple) separately

For the most important applications I use under Ubuntu this is also
true. I guess MacOS X is not the optimal solution especially
according to package management and proprietary techniques. But
maybe it is now a better compromise for me than a Linux solution.
Ubuntu will stay my productive system. But in the next days I
receive a Mac with OS X and give it a try. I will not except that I
will love Ubuntu much more after that experience :-).

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)