sound troubles- kubuntu hardy

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Fri Apr 25 16:16:04 UTC 2008

Hello,

I can't get any sound in Kubuntu and have no idea how the sound system
actually works.

LSPCI sees the sound chip as such:

00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio
(rev a2)

Relevent appearing lsmod section:

nd_pcm_oss            42144  0
snd_mixer_oss          17920  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                78596  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         11400  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy           4868  0
evdev                  13056  3
parport_pc             36260  1
snd_seq_oss            35584  0
parport                37832  3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
nvidia               7825536  44
psmouse                40336  0
serio_raw               7940  0
agpgart                34760  1 nvidia
snd_seq_midi            9376  0
snd_rawmidi            25760  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      8320  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
pcspkr                  4224  0
k8temp                  6656  0
snd_seq                54224  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              24836  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9612  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
shpchp                 34452  0
pci_hotplug            30880  1 shpchp
snd                    56996  15
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               8800  1 snd
button                  9232  0
i2c_nforce2             7680  0
i2c_core               24832  2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2

It appears that programs think all the right drivers are loaded and try
to play something but no sound comes out.

I still have the Gutsy partition on another drive and tested it to be
sure that nothing was wrong with my cord or speakers. It worked there fine.

I installed over the old home partition with my home setting intact so I
thought perhaps that caused a problem but a new test user with default
hardy settings was not able to get sound either. (The new root partition
is brand new and included no old settings)

Does anybody have any troubleshooting ideas for me?

Thanks
--
John Baker
Network Systems Administrator