8.04 md5sums

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Apr 24 22:52:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:40 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I think your all missing the boat. The md5sum is a way to increase
> the probability that the software on that mirror is the same as the
> master.

Nobody disputed that

>  But before you go looking for it Download the software and see
> if it works. I have been 100% lucky.

Why would I waste a blank CD and some of my time to find out that the
download was botched if I can just check the md5sum?

> I have 2 LiveCD's that loaded my
> computer and I have no idea what the md5sum is and care not the least :-)
>     If your download doesn't work a check will be against the sum and
> such things. But as a rule the problem is the Nut behind the wheel.

Other things can happen than just erroneous downloads, even to Debian
who certainly know what they do, not even to speak about bittorrent.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/07/msg00003.html