Hardy Heron AMD64 NVIDIA (6 Series) 22'' Widescreen LG Resolution Problem

Dani Lupion danilupion at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:33:28 UTC 2008

Hi!

I recently made a clean Hardy Heron AMD64 install. Is I said, I'm
using a NVIDIA 6 Series Card and a 22'' Widescreen LG L225WS Screen.
The issue here is that I cannot manage to set the native screen
resolution which is 1680x1050. The default xorg.conf file runs at
800x600 max resolution, I thought installing nvidia restricted driver
would fix it, so I installed it from the repositories, the funny thing
is that it actually made it worse, getting 640x480 max (but I got
compiz to work!).

I tried several things, first in nvidia-settings X Server Display
Configuration i tried changing Panning to my desired resolution in
advanced mode (the resolution combobox only showed 640x480 and
320x240), this didn't work.

I also tried displayconfig-gtk. I could chose the right resolution
here and even test it but pushing "keep this configuration" button
changed it back (and no change to xorg.conf was made).

I have to say that everything worked flawlessly in Gutsy Gibbon AMD64.

Here is my original xorg.conf file (resulted max 800x600 resolution)

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"es"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
EndSection

Here's another xorg.conf file that i tried (resulted max 640x480 resolution)

[...]

    Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
        Device         "Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
              Modes      "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
EndSection

I would be really thankful if anyone gave me some guidelines.

Dani