Ubuntu Pricing Concern

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:19:46 UTC 2008

>  Hey,
>   It is a little odd. There is this[1] on the frontpage www.ubuntu.com
>   Given a frontpage promise that Ubuntu will never cost anything, it
>  doesn't make sense to have 'Pricing' included so prominantly along
>  with the specific 'Desktop Edition is free of charge'. Why not
>  reiterate the promise that _all_ editions are always going to be free
>  and avoid the confusion.
>
>  cheers,
>  Owen.
>

> You made a good point. Following it would dismiss the need to implement
>  the "Pricing term". It's all just reminds me RedHat.... .

I actually had a longer post written out about Ron's thread on debian-user
'Why Redhat is the business distro' which IIRC became a discussion
about the psychology of perceived value.
In this vein, one gain of the current section title including
'Pricing' could be that it sets up an expectation of cost (and value)
then gives it away for free.
Just a thought.

cheers,
Owen.