Upgrade to Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS - Beginner's questions

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Apr 24 16:01:13 UTC 2008

Charly Avital wrote:
> The last Digest I received is dated 4/21/08, I reckon everybody is busy
> upgrading to 8.04. I'll try my luck, hoping for some feedback

The list is quite busy - maybe your subscription was canceled due to
bounces?

> But, during installation, I had a few warnings (about openoffice.org
> writer2latex), but the critical warning was:
> "upgrade aborts now, system could be in unusable state, recovery will
> run now (dpkg --configure -a).

Actually the command should be

sudo dpkg --configure -a

> I have *not* run 'dpkg --configure -a' because I "assume" the
> installation process already did it.
> Question: should I do it, and why?

Yes, because the upgrade isn't really finished yet. If you don't run the
command, you may have trouble with future upgrades and / or installation
of new packages.

> I have forced grub to start in recovery mode, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic,
> and here I am.
> Question: in spite of the critical warning "upgrade aborts now...", and
> in spite of the indications of System Monitor, am I really running
> 8.04?

At least some packages are already from 8.04, but it isn't finished yet
(see above).

Nils