Compiling and installing the kernel.

V V vvatwork at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:04:09 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss
connectivity everything is working fine.

Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled
kernel.

   1. I installed the source code,
   2. Used the "make gconfig" to configure it. I did not do any changes
   int the configuration. But saved the file .
   3. compiled it with make.
   4. changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly. ( I have changed
   only the vmlinux part, But I do not know what to do with initrd.etc..)
   5. After the reboot, grub gives me the option for the newkernel. But
   when I boot with that, it stops after the Ubuntu logo appears.

Is there any documnet which clearly specifies all the steps that I need to
take to get this working?
Is there any basic config file for vostro 1500? Is there anything wrong I am
doing in creating a config file?

Thanks,
VV