Installing Ubuntu as 2nd OS

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 23 18:02:38 UTC 2008

Peter Domanski wrote:

> The reason I'm saying this is because I once tried to boot linux from an
> external USB HD and had a wicked time trying to make it boot. Eventually I
> gave up.  But that was few years back so maybe things changed since, If so
> then I retract my statement.

I'd say that in a "few years" a vast amount has changed.  Typically a
computer is kept for 3 years or less (at least as a primary machine), and
I'd be really surprised if any laptop less than 3 years old couldn't boot
off an external media.

Now, that doesn't actually mean they can boot off _all_ external media.  I
tried to set up a bootable external drive for my father-in-law this winter,
but the media was pathetic - from day one it was full of disk errors.  Of
course, it _was_ cheap :-)
--
derek