Ubuntu 7.10 and DVD-RAM

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:09:06 UTC 2008

On 23/04/2008, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos at freemail.gr> wrote:

> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
> >

> > Hi, I have the DVD recorder AD-7203A and it supports DVD-RAM. I got a
> > TDK DVD-RAM "TYPE IV" 9.4 GB DOUBLE SIDED.
> >

> > However after I formatted it with the command
> >
> > mkudffs --utf8 --media-type=dvdram /dev/hda
> >
> > it appears as having capacity 4.3 GB.
> >

> > Any info would be welcome.
>

> Actually I can't make it work at all, either via Nautilus (the DVD-RAM
> disc doesn't appear writeable) or Nero Linux 3.5.0.1 (the later hasn't
> any DVD-RAM option).
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,
  The first issue - capacity - is a simple fix. Physically remove the
disk, flip it over, re-insert.
  The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks, rather
than trying
Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk or
similar) and
read/write directly same as a USB thumb-drive.

cheers,
Owen.