ubuntu 7.10 server edition

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 23 12:57:21 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Ralph Molina wrote:
>> After installing my ubuntu server above and rebooting the system, I come
>> to a section where I have to log in, and even though I use the username I
>> created during the server installation and password,  I can't log in.
>> Why? Any help appreciated, R. Molina
>>
>     You used the wrong name or password and we can't tell which. It is
> important to write down both before you have this problem. You can drop
> back to init 1 and make a new password if that is the problem.

Not necessarily.  In at least one case we had a knowledgeable user who was
able to verify that the system was never created with an initial user -
the /etc/password file had no entry for any non-system user.  There's got
to be a bug in the installation procedure somewhere, but it isn't either
obvious or common.
--
derek