PDF vs Printers

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 22 22:12:36 UTC 2008

On 04/22/2008 10:05 AM, Phil Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Jeffrey Tooker <Jeffreytooker at msn.com> wrote:
>
> <--snip-->
>
>>  > If you do not have foomatic installed; from a terminal:
>>  >
>>  > sudo apt-get intall foomatic*
>>  >
>>  > should do the trick.
>>  >

>>  NoOP:
>>
>>  Thank you for the info.  It should fix mt problem.  I take it by your post
>>  that Foomatic package of drivers is onboard when 7.10 (fully updated) is
>>  installed and that the command line entry then loads them into the system.
>>  The reason for this question is that I will probably take my Lexmark (old
>>  Printer) out to my offline machine.  And get an HP all in one for my online
>>  machine.
>>
>>  Jeffrey Tooker
>>  Paynes Creek Ca.
>
> Hi!
> Actually, the command posted will install every package starting with
> foomatic. apt-get is the command line version of synaptic.
> To answer your other question, foomatic is partially installed by
> default. There are some filters missing, but those are installed when
> you do the "apt-get install foomatic*".
> If you want to install those packages on your second, internet-less
> mashine, you can download the *.deb files from packages.ubuntu.com and
> install the. But beware, there might be other packages that are needed
> before you can install foomatic. You can check, if foomatic is on the
> installation cd and use that as a repository.

Or, buy an old used 4-5 port hub or switch and connect the two machines
together. Better yet, buy a router with a built-in firewall if you don't
have one already, and connect them that way.

I'd recommend installing the lexmark on your connected machine first to
learn how to: 1) install it, 2) ensure that it works, and 3) use it
until you buy a new printer. You can then easily move it to the other
machine.