Specifying WEP key number in Hardy

Glenn Holmer gholmer at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 21 11:10:27 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 05:22:53 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steve Lee wrote:
> > The default is key 1 and it looks like
> > nm assumes that but doesn't let you chose otherwise. I chose key 2
> > to be a little more obscure and hopefully more secure.
>
> Better don't expect any security from WEP. For some background
> information look here: <http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/87889>.
> Use WPA2 instead, if you want security. And I can't help with your
> problem either, sorry.

I have Steve's same problem, and it sure looks like a bug.  I switched
my keys around so that key 1 is used, and now it works a treat.

Some of us need to use WEP for devices on our network that require it,
like Sharp Zaurus SL-5600 and the XO (One Laptop per Child).  Combined
with MAC address filtering, it's probably good enough for home use,
unless the machines on your network have their barn door open.

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer  (Q-Link: ShadowM)  http://www.lyonlabs.org