PDF vs Printers

Ioannis Vranos ivranos at freemail.gr
Sun Apr 20 12:17:18 UTC 2008

Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
 Bart:

 First my mail program is MS Outlook, not Outlook Express.  When I hit the
 reply or reply to all I get no quote carrots along the side of the quoted
 portion.  To this time it has not been a problem.  However now it seems to
 need fixing.  Do you have any ideas?

Typical hard re boot today.  Was trying to get resolution changed on
monitor.  When I executed the chages on the change screen the screen went

black.  I waited about 10 minutes and nothing changed.  I cut power and
rebooted, the system came back up.  On the third try the change held and I
did not have to reboot.  I have Ubuntu on a seperate drive and no personal
files. I have "The Official Ubuntu Book" by Benjamin Mako Hill.  On some
topics it is a bit lacking.  How does one get out of a situation like the
above black screen without cutting power?  Is there an Ubuntu equivalent of
Windows "Control, Alt, Delete"?

I have set up a "No Real Work" computer to be my sand box.  I will connect
it online soon.  The machine I am writing from is a dual boot with Ubuntu on
a seperate HD.  Once the sand box machine is setup I will probably not boot
this one in Ubuntu untill I get a lot more competent with it.  The sand box
machine is a PIII 600MC CPU with a 40GB HD and no online or printer.  I can
reload it from the CD with a disk if I have to, and any data that I put into
it with a disk can be reloaded.  So it is my learning machine.

However your statement about the hard reboot interests me.  I think the hard
reboots have probably made the Ubuntu on the dual boot machine a bit
glitchy.  The operation of the OS is what I need to know about.  I will
never do anything very complicated with Ubuntu.  Most of what I do is email,
online searching, word processing and a few spreadsheets.  Please explain
about the sand box.  I thank you for your concern.

Try using Mozilla thunderbird as your email client under Windows. It is
free and a very good one.

If you get a blank screen under X.org or X.org is locked up, you have
two options:

1. Use Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch to another console, log in, and type
shutdown -r now

This will do a software reboot.

shutdown -P now

performs a shutdown and powers-off the system.

2. Use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, to kill X.org. X.org is restarted
automatically. If it doesn't and you come to a console prompt, type
startx to start it.

Your second option when you