Installing Ubuntu as 2nd OS

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Apr 18 19:15:49 UTC 2008

Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop with Win Xp and 1 partition on it. This laptop has
> very valuable information for me, personally. I was wondering if will
> be able to install Ubuntu as second OS on my laptop, without
> reformatting the hard drive. I need to keep the data on it intact.

There is no warranty that it will work without problems. While it worked
for several people to resize XP partitions (me included), I had problems
doing that on 2 machines. IMHO it is always risky to change the
partitioning of a hard disk. Therefore I would suggest to make a backup
of your valuable data to CD / DVD and check that you can restore the data
from the backup media. Furthermore, make sure you have your Windows CD/DVD
at hand in case you need to restore the Windows system.

Nils