Uninstalling Ubuntu

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Apr 18 05:23:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 21:58 -0700, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> The whole procedure for uninstalling Ubuntu is quite involved and not
> very public.  Is there a reason for this?  It seems to be a bit un
> user friendly for an OS which is touted for being user friendly.

Because the notion of "uninstalling an operating system" is not really
correct. It is only a matter of removing the Ubuntu boot loader (grub)
from the Master Boot Record, and instead put the boot manager of the
other OS there.

Then you still have a hard disk with one or more partitions that
contain the OS that you want to remove. If you want to reuse this disk,
you simply repartition and format it in the OS that you do want to keep
(or install another OS over it).

The whole operation has little to do with Ubuntu, but more with the
other OS. (Compare how Windows has no "uninstall Windows" instructions
either; not so much out of spite, but because the concept, again, makes
little sense and the operation rather is about how to install another
OS).

Nevertheless, "uninstall Ubuntu" gives me 20,000 Google hits (even with
the quotes), same for "remove ubuntu". I won't reiterate what you can
read there.