[OT] Re: iPod support in Linux

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:13:10 UTC 2008

>  Ah, yeah. Much as I prefer open source and all its benefits, I tend to presume that people using non-open source software don't, and see some advantage in it. So I don't see OSX being closed source as a bad thing for the user, presuming that user wants OSX. Might have something to do with the fact that I've never really had a problem with closed source software that was caused by the fact it was closed.

As an Apple user have you never used Apple Works?  I bet it wouldn't
have stagnated and died had it been open source.
You must not own an Airport Extreme with disc drives that weren't
useable by Time Machine because Apple tried to force everyone to
purchase a Time Capsule.   Do you not think the endless Quick Time
updates aren't because the closed source code?   Do you really think
HP/Lenovo/pick your favourite can't build a decent computer to run OSX
on?  It's the closed source of OSX that makes that impossible.

OSX has a lot going for it, and there are benefits there for OSX
users, but being closed source IS a disadvantage for the user.
There's no benefit to closed source OSX except that it maintains
Apple's current income model.  Some people may feel the other
advantages they see in running OSX outweigh the problems caused by
closed source, and that's certainly their perogative  (I'm not the
EVERYONE HAS TO RUN LINUX OR ELSE! fanatic) but don't claim closed
source isn't a negative!

<hope that wasn't too ranty - I don't want to come off that way>

Brian