[OT] Re: iPod support in Linux

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Apr 17 14:32:34 UTC 2008

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:12:06 +0000 (UTC)
> thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BSD is great for apple, not so much for apple users, because the BSD
>> license allows apple to take and not give.  If you're ok with that, and
>> you want things to "just work", apple offers very good integration I
>> understand.
>
> I don't see how that's a bad thing for apple users? Bad for BSD users, possibly, since they miss out on apple's development.

Bad for Apple users in the Richard Stallman sense. Apple users are
unable to benefit from the rapid community development/improvements that
Open Systems can enjoy.  They do not benefit from the 'freedom' that one
should be entitled to with "ownership" of their computer.

Whether you think this is a catastrophic loss for the user or no big
deal, maybe even a net benefit for the end user, will depend on your
experience, and how often you got hog tied by your own equipment due to
closed source policies.