DVD-RAM discs

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Thu Apr 17 12:10:00 UTC 2008

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.

[...]
> The above site mentions that Linux supports DVD-RAM discs out of the
> box. Has anyone any experience on using DVD-RAM discs on Ubuntu? They
> look like a useful technology and such discs are sold in a local store.

What exactly do you want to know?

Since the defect management of DVD-RAMs is supposed to be superior to
other CD/DVD media they seem to be suitable for backups. And that's
exactly what I use them for: to backup files I want to be able to easily
carry with me or store away.

Vanilla kernels prior to 2.6.22 contained a limitation in the UDF driver
which didn't allow you to write files > 1GB. This limitation was a
workaround for a bug in even older kernels where writing files > 1GB
could screw your data.
But since you're on Gutsy this is not a problem.
Whether previous Ubuntu kernels did contain a fix wrt this limitation, I
don't know.

What I consider most annoying wrt DVD-RAMs is the fact that most modern
burners are able to write DVD-RAMs with 8x, 10x or even higher speed,
but where I live it's next to impossible to buy media certified for more
than 3x.

Regards
  mks