Grub installation failed, help please !

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Apr 17 09:29:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:00 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu cracks and experts
> Since a few days I tried many times to install Ubuntu 8.04 Beta onto a
> IBM Thinkpad X31
> with only very little or no  success. All partitons for Ubuntu were new
> created !
>
> 7.10 was installed on this system and was running wired and
> wirelessly !!
>
> The installation process takes a very very long time (11am to near 5pm)
> and
> finally abends with red screen and Grub installation failed !!! ;-(
>
> It says:
> The 'grub' package failed to install into /target/.
> without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.
>
> Retries loading GRUB again failed !!
>
> Finishing the installation again brings a red screen with mentioning:
> Need setup /vmlinuz kernel on partititon /dev/sda6 with root=/dev/sda6
> as kernel argument ...
>
> Rebooting the system brings Grub Loading, please wait ...
> Error 15 !?
>
> I have absolutely NO ideas anymore how to overcome this red screen
> scenario !
> With Super Grub Disk I can get back to WIN on C: only and ...
> ... restart installation again !?!? ;-((
>
> Your advice and suggestions are hot awaited.
> TIA and cheers, svobi

Just found this !
I assume the hda/sda is in conflict with this system !?
This bug also affects Hardy beta - I have two SATA drives which appear
as sda/b.
Ubuntu 6.10 is installed on sda. When I installed Hardy on sdb,
the /boot/grub/menu.lst
had the drive identifiers inverted (hd1,1) in place of (hd0,1) and
vice-versa).
The MBR was overwritten and wouldn't boot. I had to use a rescue CD and
re-install the original MBR before I could boot.

Unfortunatley Grub SuperDisk isn't able to "restore" GRUB ...

I am still crawling but swimming !!! ;-)
svobi