TopPosting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Apr 16 15:26:19 UTC 2008

Lorenzo Taylor wrote:
> And I'll echo the previous response and point out that there's little
> point in replying unless you give some hint as to what you are replying
> to.
>
> But if we're creating a standard based on natural conversation, how many
> conversations do you know that look something like this?
>
> Hello.
>
> You said "Hello."
> Hello. How are you?
>
> You said I said "Hello." Then you said "Hello. How are you?
> I'm fine.

When you have time-shifted or delayed conversations, then this would
compensate for the fact that you may not remember what you said in the
first place.

And to answer you...I do hear it.  Often.

"You said I could go to the movies tonight!"

"What did I tell you about picking these up?"

"Mom said that..."

"That is NOT what you said.  You specifically stated that..."

So, reminding you what you said about particular topics isn't as
unnatural or rare as you make them out to be.