How does one clean a messy fstab ?

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 10:44:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
<i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> Hi Neil
>  Thanks a lot for your efforts and patience to assist !
>  Very appreciated, however it is very hard for me to follow your high
>  level info !! ;-)

I'l step it down. It's always hard to know what people know form just
a mail. I do not want to insult one  who knows the mysts of Linux, and
I do not want to baffle a newb.

> [...]
>  > >
>  > >  > Before you reboot the PC you should make the directories you will be
>  > >  > using. If you take all my advices you should do this:
>  > >  > mkdir /media/WinC && mkdir /media/WinD && mkdir /media/test
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I'd advise to set
>  > >  > "# UUID=D2C47460C47448AD /media/sda1     ntfs
>  > >  > defaults,umask=007,gid=46  0       1" (most probably your windows C
>  > >  > disk)
>  > >  > "UUID=D2C47460C47448AD /media/WinC   ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46
>  > >  >  0       1"
>  > >  > because sda1 is in windows recognised as C:/. This is not essential,
>  > >  > but may help to find your files. You should NOT do this if you use
>  > >  > virtualisation. I do not know if it causes problems, but it may.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > and
>  > >  > >> /dev/sdb6 / NTFS D: Data Windows Partition
>  > >  > # UUID=E1C68841C686923  ?       ntfs    ?       ?       ?
>  > >  > # /dev/sdb6 / NTFS D: Data Windows Partition
>  > >  > "UUID=E1C68841C686923  /media/WinD     ntfs    defaults       0       0"
>  > >  > The data partition in windows wasn't mounted. This results in the data
>  > >  > not being available
>  > >  >
>  > >  > and
>  > >  > # /dev/sda7 / FAT16 E: Data Exchange Partition (for tests only and 1GB)
>  > >  > # UUID=47F7-9B3D                        ?       vfat    ?       ?       ?
>  > >  > # /dev/sda7 / FAT16 E: Data Exchange Partition (for tests only and 1GB)
>  > >  > UUID=47F7-9B3D                        /media/test       vfat    noauto
>  > >  >       0       0
>  > >  > or
>  > >  > # /dev/sda7 / FAT16 E: Data Exchange Partition (for tests only and 1GB)
>  > >  > UUID=47F7-9B3D                        /media/test       vfat
>  > >  > defaults       0       0
>  > >
>  > >  Well, I need more time to understand this better !
>  > >  Will get back to this later !!
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  > Again, the disk wasn't mounted. If you do not want it to be mounted at
>  > >  > boot you should use the first (noauto) if you do want it to be mounted
>  > >  > you should use the second (default)
>  > >
>  > >  I am not clear what you mean with "disk wasn't mounted" !?
>  > >  On my desktop is an icon of the WIN C: partition and I have access to
>  > >  it ! ;-)
>  >
>  > yes, and that was pobably the only one you could acces. Not your
>  > Windows - D partition and not your test partition.
>  > The moving of the windows C partition isn't needed, but reccomended.
>  > The icon on your desktop is a link to /media/sda1 . You can leave
>  > widows- C there if you like, but mounting it at /media/WinC is easier

Let me explain some things about mountig and what it is not:

Mounting is creating a connection between a folder and something else.
That something can be a lot, but we should only consider a harddisk
partition.
A mounted partition is a partition that is connected to a folder. Case:
you have sda1 mounted at / and sda2 at /test
You enter cd / .
You are now busy at partition sda1
You enter cd test .
You are now actually busy on partition sda2

Once you changed your directory to /test you changed your active partition.

What you have on your desktop is something else: it's a link to
/media/sda1 (a folder). The folder /media/sda1 is a "mount point":
there is a partition mounted there. The result: if you click the link
on your desktop your PC will follow the link to /media/sda1 and see
it's a mount point. It'l follow the mount-thingy and end up at the
partition sda1.

You windows C partition is mounted at /media/sda1. It's cool, you can
leave it there if you don't mind. It's just good practice when setting
mount points to use the partition name other OS-es see (if applicable)

>  My convention is like following:
>  LDnnn = LANdrive # = 142 for mine / 144 for my wife's and similar
>
>  WUnnn = Workstation's USB Drive or Stick and its unique numbers
>
>  WSnnn = Workstation # = 222 for mine / 22n for others
>  WSnnnC1 = Workstation # and its 1st C: partition, ie WIN XPP
>  WSnnnC2 = Workstation # and its 2nd C: partition, ie OS/2
>  WSnnnD = Workstation # and its D: partition, here NTFS data partition
>  WSnnnE = Workstation # and its E: partition, here FAT32 test partition
>  WSnnnF = Workstation # and its F: partition, hereFAT16 test partition
>
>  WSnnn_UROOT804Beta = Workstation # and its root partition
>  SWAP has no label
>  WSnnn_UHOME = Workstation # and its home partititon
>
>  Hope it gotta not too longwinding ! ;-)

look's good. I am a student; I only own one important PC so i do not
need a complicated naming scheme, but this looks usable.

>  > I'd say your windows - D parttition is the most important to have on
>  > your desktop, since it is your data partition
>
>  Principally, YES !!! ;-)
>  Except under WINdoof !! ;-(

yeah you don't wanna let windoze dammage your data now, would ya :)

>  At the moment I am having some problems to understand "mount" and
>  I got to experience it when I tried to copy my present Ubuntu
>  7.10's /home data from
>  my notebook to an external USB Drive and then back to into the new
>  created HOME
>  partition on the notebook !
>
>  Could copy and copy back and identify the differences and
>  later, having NO access anymore !' ;-(
>
>  This experiment also has to do how to transfer my old /home data into
>  an own HOME partition.

There are simply a couple of ways to back up. There are a few sync
programs (rsync, Kitchensync) but I do not know wether they actually
work.

"cp -r -P /oldhome /newhome" would copy all the files while not
following any links (-r to copy the files in subfolders, -P to prevent
the PC from following links. Links can result in an infinite amount of
data)

>  > The /dev/sda(a-z) names tend to change if you do not have the
>  > harddisks connected neatly at the place they should be. Start with
>  > PATA 1 master for the pata drives and SATA 1 for the sata drives.
>  > CDroms do not count.
>
>  Just experienced and learnt that I better place bootable partitions at
>  the
>  very beginning of the logical partiton against my earlier idea to group
>  it by OS !?

Windoze should be at the beginning of the disk. Linux doesn't really
care. I do not know about OS/2.

>  From;
>  sda1 prim ntfs bootable C: WIN XPP (original manufacturer installation)
>  sda2 logical
>  sda5 log ntfs D: WIN data
>  sda6 log fat32 E: FAT32 test
>  sda7 log SWAP
>  sda8 log ext3 bootable ROOT Ubuntu 7.10
>  sda9 log ext3 HOME
>
>  I changed to:
>  sda1 prim ntfs bootable C: WIN XPP (original manufacturer installation)
>  sda2 logical
>  sda5 log ext3 bootable ROOT Ubuntu 7.10
>  sda6 log SWAP
>  sda7 log ext3 HOME
>  sda8 log ntfs D: WIN data
>  sda9 log fat32 E: FAT32 test
>
>  It will get a bit more complicated with OS/2 added too !! ;-)
>  Perhaps I need to consider installing OS/2 off the notebook HDD on the
>  USB drive and connect it when needed only !?

That should probably be more of a question of space. Does the system
have enough hard drive space to spare another 10 ? G. If it does there
probably is no reason why you shouldn't. External harddrives are slow.
so booting from them is slow.

>  So, finally I got down here and hope I haven't forgotten anything !
>  I also hope it will not be too boring and longwinding for you !!

nah, that's alright. I'm a teacher, I like explaining.

>  Very glad and happy to have you and some more fellows helping me:
>  Once again thanks a lot and cheers
>  svobi
>

>  --

There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.
1. People who start their arrays with 0.