How to upgrade Ubuntu

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Wed Apr 16 00:54:05 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/14/2008 02:48 PM, Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Yes. While in Gutsy, insert the Hardy Alternate CD. You will then get a
>>> pop-up that says:
>>> ====
>>> A distribution volume with software packages has been detected.
>>>
>>> Would you like to try to upgrade from it automatically?
>>>
>>> Cancel	Start package manager	Run upgrade
>>> ====
>>>
>>> Select "Run upgrade". You do not have to be connected to the internet to
>>> perform the upgrade. However, there are about 500 updates that are
>>> needed in the Hardy Beta version, so I'd recommend that you wait another
>>> 3 weeks until the final gets released, and settles down a bit after the
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Standard disclaimer applies: backup at least your /home directories first.
>>>
>> Thanks NoOp!
>> Now I can understand. One more question: is the upgrade to be done using
>> "alternate" iso file only?
>> TIA,
>
> I've not tried it with the LiveCD - I stopped using LiveCD's a long time
> ago as some of my older hardware w/limited memory doesn't get along with
> LiveCD's.
>
> In fact, even when I do a new/fresh install w/Alternate CD I typically
> disconnect from the network first & select "configure network later"
> when the installer prompts. That way the install is directly from the CD
> and it doesn't mess around trying to get info from the internet. I've
> found this to be much faster.
>   After I install, I then connect, configure the interface via Network
> Manager, and _then_ update from the internet.

Thanks very much!!! :)
* Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
* Child Neurologist                          *
* Systems Analyst/ASUS Certified Professional*
* Rio de Janeiro, Brazil                     *
* Skype: carlos-aa                           *
* mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
* mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *