help on login from xwindow

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 15 18:03:46 UTC 2008

On 04/13/2008 03:40 AM, xm s wrote:
> About a month ago, I found the font is not very good, so I changed
> system language from chinese to english, then bad things happened.
> When reboot the computer, the following message come out,
>
> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
> seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2
> minutes before trying again."
>

> From then on, I can only login from recovery mode and type "startx"
> to use ubuntu. This brings me lots of trouble. I googled the problem,
> there seems no solution on Internet.How can I fix the problem ?

It's your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that is creating the problem. Check to
see if you have a backup xorg.conf file and use that one if possible.

When you boot into recovery mode you are given three options:

1. resume	resume normal boot
2. root		drop to a root shell prompt
3. xfix		Try to fix the X server

Select #3 and that should fix the problem.