Hibernation fails

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:21:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:44 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:
>  >
>  > No - the swap partition is only used for virtual memory - a separate
>  > hibernation file would be created for long term hibernation.
>
>  Are you positive that this is so? I'm asking because I doubt it :) IIRC
>  swsusp2 uses a hibernation file approach, but, again IIRC, it's not in
>  the mainline kernel yet.
>
>  I could be totally wrong, clarification would be much appreciated.

You have me confused now. I referred to the email from Rafael to the
LKML (viewable here: http://kerneltrap.org/node/14004) and focused on
the fact that suspend to hibernation was currently implemented.
However, it seems upon re-reading that I may have jumped the gun.

"Saving and loading the hibernation image

The hibernation image is saved in a swap partition or in a swap file
in step (16) and loaded from it in step (19) of the
hibernation-restore cycle, with the help of standard block I/O
callbacks and/or functions designed for accessing swap devices and/or
swap files. This code has not been changed for a long time. There are
almost no problems with this part of the hibernation code.
Practically, there have not been any bugs found in it for the last
year. Yet, it is quite limited, since it does not support image
compression that may substantially increase the speed of saving and
swap partitions or swap files) for saving hibernation images and only
one swap partition or swap file can be used at a time. XIII. Userland
hibernation interface Some users of the hibernation subsystem want it
to be able to perform certain transformations of the hibernation
image, such as encryption and/or compression, before saving it."

Looks like you are correct and I was mistaken.

Bugger! :)

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0