nVidia Computer

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 05:13:12 UTC 2008

On 15/04/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

>     Thanks for your comments Leonard! I only wish my computer would work
> as well as yours with the "nv" driver. It is pretty good but not good
> enough for me.
>
>     I just from Newegg bought a new motherboard  which is a Gigibyte
> GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.  It has a 30
> day return for refund.
>
>     It will fit in my small enclosure and my older DVD and HD's should
> all work. My RAM and AMD CPU should fit. It has ZERO nVidia hardware :-)
>

> Karl

Hey,
  I have always had a good run with nvidia hardware and had never owned
anything ati until last weekend when I bought the same motherboard as you.
  The Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H is a great board so far, but definately
has had its quirks for me. To install Gutsy you need the alternate disk, but
none of the supplied kernels were apparently installable.
  This meant I had to use a livecd (I used a hardy desktop beta) to chroot
into a kernel-less system, install a newer kernel and then update initramfs
and grub.
  The alternative was to install Hardy but as this is to be a mythtv
box and the Mythbuntu 8.04 beta did not prove to be stable enough I
eventually went for the former. I haven't yet been able to get radeon,
radeonhd or gfglx running under 2.6.22-14 but I am still hopeful[1].
BTW gfglx worked perfectly under Hardy[2]. The onboard video is an HD3200

Good luck,
cheers,
Owen

[1] My RocketRaid rr1740 drivers won't compile past 2.6.22 as some functions

have been deprecated, they haven't updated the driver and I haven't yet
looked to see if I can patch it myself.

[2] add Option "TexturedVideo" "on" to the Device section in xorg.conf
  Without it xvinfo shows no devices.