Gutsy unstable

Pastor JW jolson at gohighspeed.com
Sun Apr 13 15:25:22 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Kenneth P. Turvey
>
> <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:47:04 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> >  > I had similar problems with ipw3945 and Gusty.  Sometimes I would be
> >  > unable to kill NetworkManager - after it would drop the connection/and
> >  > or become unresponsive -, and trying to rmmod ipw3945 would hang the
> >  > system.  Since switching to iwl3945 this has not happened anymore.
> >
> >  OK, I'll give this a shot.  I tried just adding ipw3945 to the blacklist
> >  and then running modprobe on iwl3945 and this loaded the module fine,
> > but it doesn't fit into the system well.  Network Manager doesn't work
> > and the interface name is wlan0_rename.
> >
> >  What other steps are necessary to integrate this driver into Ubuntu
> >  gutsy?
>
> Odd.  I can't recall having to perform any other steps.  Have you
> tried restarting NM or restarting?  Don't forget to add iwl3945 to
> /etc/modules if you try rebooting.
>
> Is there anything useful in dmesg or /var/log/messages when you
> modprobe iwl3945?

 I don't remember any either.  Here are the notes I used:

can drop or lockup during heavy transfer rates.
Impact: Wireless connection drops. Data transfer stops.
Workaround: Use network module iwl3945 instead.

Create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ipw3945 and add:
blacklist ipw3945

Add to /etc/modules: iwl3945

Reboot. After the system restarts, verify that the module iwl3945 (and not
ipw3945) is loaded:

$ lsmod | egrep 'Module|iwl|ipw'

You should see an output that looks like:
Module                  Size  Used by
iwl3945                88168  0
iwlwifi_mac80211      175112  1 iwl3945
cfg80211                7304  1 iwlwifi_mac80211

As seen, only the iwl3945 module is loaded.  Hope this helps!  It was easy
enough the even I could do it!  Of course it was done on a laptop which
had "Gutsy" factory installed.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org