setting up a network printer

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Apr 15 01:42:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:03 -0700, Donald Raikes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) installed on my hard drive, and I want to be
> able to print to my network printer.
>
> The printer has an ip address, but I cannot figure out how to tell
> ubuntu where the printer is.
> Any info appreciated :-)
>
> Don Raikes

Hi, sometimes it isn't easy to get it done !
Beside of settings there can be a HW problem too !?

I struggled too long to find out that one of my new WL Printservers
being spoilt !!! ;-(

After changing to another identical (used) PS the printer worked !!! ;-)

My settings:
lpd://192.168.xxx.yyy/printername

where, in my case, printername is either BJ or LJ to get to the
respective unit
BJ=Canon BJc-6100 and LJ=HP LJ 1320 !

Well there are more settings available like ipp etc.

With HPLIP installed one get to CUPS and there is a good documentation
of what settings are all available / possible !

Try, try and retry !!!

Good luck and cheers, svobi