iPod support in Linux

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Apr 15 01:14:09 UTC 2008

Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> I'm thinking about moving back to Ubuntu from Windows but the one thing  I
> must have is support for my iPod nano 3G - is there an itunes like piece of
> software that support the newer iPod for Linux without having to change
> anything on the iPod iteself?

I have an iPod nano that I could use with Windows in a VMWare session
running iTunes as long as I disabled the high-speed USB daemon.  Slow,
but I could use it without major problems.

I recently received an iPod Touch and no matter what the VMWare session
couldn't handle it, so I ended up opting to use a scrap system to just
install Windows on and use VNC to connect to it and do the updating and
configuring of the iPod; the computer works headless, just sitting on
the floor with a keyboard and mouse laying on top and a USB cable
snaking out.

I knew that some apps like rhythmbox was supposed to support the iPod on
Ubuntu when you plug it into the USB port, but I remember reading that
iTunes would still be needed for updates and resetting/reformatting it
without hoops.  So I compromised first with VMWare then an inexpensive
junk box that is only used for iTunes that otherwise was going to the
scrap pile.

Don't know if this input helps you or not...

-Bart