suggestions to sync partitions

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Apr 14 13:05:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 21:04 +1000, Owen Townend wrote:

>         Hey Owen,
>         Thanks for your feedback !
>
>         I am in a very early stage preparing my Backup / Restore
>         strategy and
>         looking for a reliable solution under Ubuntu !!
>
>         Used Sytos Premium under OS/2 and stayed with for near 15
>         years and as
>         Linux / Ubuntu greenhorn I need to find something easy and
>         flexible for
>         all my needs and purposes ;-)
>
>         >From Full Backups to incremental Backups ...
>         ... from Notebook HDD to another media at home i.e. NAS (USB
>         and/or
>         TCP/IP) or (perhaps already obsolete) tapes !?
>
>         Not really satisfied with HUbackup and SimpleBackup from
>         Ubuntu
>         Repositiory after some experiments !?
>
>         rsync sounded good because I thought of i.e. sync'ing HOME
>         either full
>         or incremental ...
>         ... but I do not really like the command line style. ;-|
>
>         Found some scripts ont their website too ;-)
>
>         But im still looking for something more desirable ! ;-D
>

>         Cheers, svobi
>

> Hey,
>   I've got BackupPC running quite successfully at my parents house
> backing up their systems over the network to a central server. It
> pools the resources together and uses hashes to avoid keeping
> duplicate files. This is more akin to svn than rsync though in that it
> is a repository, not a usable file structure.
>   Rsync is a very robust backup and transfer program and supports
> snapshot incremental backups as well as straight overwriting. If
> you're not wanting a commandline/scripting solution but the featureset
> of rsync suits your purpose then try qsync (qt) or
> backupmon (web frontend), there's a longer list with some details on
> debianadmin[1].
>
> cheers,
> Owen.
>
> [1]
> http://www.debianadmin.com/rsync-backup-web-interfacefrontend-or-gui-tools.html

Hey Owen
Again thanks for your feedback and hints !

OOPpss ...
... I see qsync and backupmon as quite old versions going back to 2005
resp. 2007 !?
Are they still under development, maintained and supported ???
I am somewhat worried with these two !! ;-)

It also looks that qsync is like a reinvention of "the wheel" basing on
rsync !?

However, I will give some simple tries with rsync till I come across
something more suitable.

Cheers, svobi