suggestions to sync partitions

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Apr 14 09:15:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:07 +1000, Owen Townend wrote:

> On 14/04/2008, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
>         Hello Ubuntu  experts and users
>         I am preparing my backup / restore strategy and would like to
>         hear your suggestions how to get an comfortable/easy/fast way
>         have 2 partitons, i.e. original HOME and its backup on an USB
>         HDD
>         sync'ed !
>
>         Is "rsync" a (good) solution too do or are you having other
>         recommendations ?
>
>         The best would be a script to have it sync'ed every time
>         before shutdown
>         automatically
>         or called when needed !?
>
>         Glad to hear and learn from you. :-)
>
>         TIA and cheers, svobi

> Hey,
>   Depends on your particular needs.
>   Rsync is great and easy for syncing directories (rsync
> -avh /home/ /media/usb/home/)
>   Another option is to use a subversion repository. Or you can use
> both together:
>   For my photos and music I use rsync as
> the quantity may change, but the files themselves are (sans ID3 tags)
> static.
>   For my Documents folder I have a subversion repository on my
> fileserver, this keeps file versions, allows rollback and can show
> changes. To backup on an external HDD you can just check out a copy to
> it.
>
> cheers, Owen

Hey Owen,
Thanks for your feedback !

I am in a very early stage preparing my Backup / Restore strategy and
looking for a reliable solution under Ubuntu !!

Used Sytos Premium under OS/2 and stayed with for near 15 years and as
Linux / Ubuntu greenhorn I need to find something easy and flexible for
all my needs and purposes ;-)

>From Full Backups to incremental Backups ...
... from Notebook HDD to another media at home i.e. NAS (USB and/or
TCP/IP) or (perhaps already obsolete) tapes !?

Not really satisfied with HUbackup and SimpleBackup from Ubuntu
Repositiory after some experiments !?

rsync sounded good because I thought of i.e. sync'ing HOME either full
or incremental ...
... but I do not really like the command line style. ;-|

Found some scripts ont their website too ;-)

But im still looking for something more desirable ! ;-D

Cheers, svobi