Installing 7.1 (Gutsy) (was goes to a "/target" drive???)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 13 22:55:41 UTC 2008

On 04/13/2008 03:18 PM, Joseph wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying all day to get Ubuntu 7.x installed into a computer.
>>
>> When I get it installed, it's not normal.  It gives me the following
>> oddities:
>>
>>        1.  The "Examples" and "Install" folders are still on the desktop
>>        2.  There is a new "drive" icon on the desktop called "/target"
>>        3.  There's no "filesystem" folder in the computer menu
>>        3.  All the files which are supposed to go to the "filesystem"
>> folder is in this new "/target" drive
>>        4.  The files are there, but when I attempt to reboot, it doesn't
>> and I must reinstall again and it does the same thing.
>>
>> Any ideas?  I think it might have something to do with the fact that the
>> hard drive is a 2.1Gb drive.
>>
>> Am I correct???   ...and if not, what might I try???
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> No response to this so far....   <grimace>

You obviously missed Nils response:

> Joseph wrote:
>> > I've been trying all day to get Ubuntu 7.x installed into a computer.
>
> Which 7.x? 7.04 or 7.10? Did you use the live CD or the alternate CD?
>
>> > When I get it installed, it's not normal.  It gives me the following
>> > oddities:
> [...]
>> > Any ideas?  I think it might have something to do with the fact that
>> > the hard drive is a 2.1Gb drive.
>
> I think 2.1GB is too small. I can't find a reference right now, but I seem
> to remember that the recommended minimum disk size is 4GB. On my test
> machine with Kubuntu 8.04 beta, there are only about 500MB left from the
> 4GB disk. Even if you could install on 2GB (which I doubt), it would not
> be a usable system.
>

> Nils

And I'd have to agree with Nils; I also have Ubuntu installed on a 4.5GB
and currently only have 500Mb left.

See:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition
<quote>
System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. At least 256
MB of RAM is required to run the desktop install CD. Install requires at
least 4 GB of disk space.
</quote>

The only thing that I'd improve on there is that you can install on
128MB of RAM using the alternate cd.