Dotan Cohen dotancohen at
Sun Apr 13 18:09:53 UTC 2008

On 09/04/2008, Derek Broughton <news at> wrote:
> It very much depends on CD quality.  The quantity of data on the Ubuntu
>  images pushes the limit of what you can do with a CD, and I have had no end
>  of trouble writing iso images to CDs.  Good media should work, bad media
>  never do. I finally started using DVDs for less stress.

The iso for ubuntu-8.04-beta-desktop-i386.iso is 691 MB, that's less
than the 700 MB most disks advertise, though above the 650 MB that
traditional disks used. I've had much better luck using cheap media
for iso images above 700 MB (not specifically ubuntu images), as they
seem to meet the 700MB lower limit with a larger error margin. That
means that the average disk might be between 700 and 730 MB, as
opposed to the tighter tolerances of quality media at 700-705 MB. But
I've never had a problem burning less that 700 MB on a 700 MB disk.
There is nothing special about Ubuntu iso images in this regard.

Dotan Cohen

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?