Checking the file system every 22 boots

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Sun Apr 13 03:34:41 UTC 2008

DigitalPig wrote:
> Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink.com> writes:
>
>> It is necessary. About one in five passes it finds a few orphaned inodes
>> on my systems. You can adjust the frequency by changing a value in
>> /etc/fstab. But if your system stays up most of the time, there is also
>> a maximum days between runs buried somewhere. So when I took down a
>> server that had been up for 200 days to install additional drives, all
>> of the partitions on the existing drives were checked when it booted
>> back up.
>>
> Hey Bob. I just want to ask why you got the orphaned inodes every one in
> five passes? What kind of server are you administrating now?

I didn't mean to imply that every fifth pass I get some, but on average,
about once out of every five passes. I have Apache, PostgreSQL, Samba,
cupsd, sshd and a few other odds and ends running. In addition, I
frequently use Firefox, Thunderbird, Nautilus, OOo and various audio and
video players. Since the orphans get caught and cleaned up, I haven't
spent any time wondering which process is leaving them behind.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP