VLC not able to read across the network.....

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 13:10:42 UTC 2008

I have a Windows XP pro box running as a server on my internal network.  I
have videos, music etc. that I then call and play from other network
connected devices.  My problem is that I want VLC to be my default player
instead of totem as I think I haven't found yet a file that VLC cannot
play.  The problem is that in gutsy, when I go to my network drive and right
click on the file I want to play, then select "open with VLC", VLC will open
but won't play anything.

I notice if I try the same thing on windows, it will work.   This leads me
to believe I need to install something to get VLC to see network file
systems.

Does anyone have any ideas, or have you experienced similar?

--
Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so
relax......it's just life !!!