Read/write NTFS from Ubuntu

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 08:08:35 BST 2008

On 12/04/2008, David B Teague <davidbteague at verizon.net> wrote:

> Owen Townend wrote:
> >

> >     Ultimately I want to run everything I need to run using Ubuntu only,
> >     with Finale (music notation) and one or two other programs running
> >     either with Wine or otherwise (VM Ware?)  At that point I will move
> >     everything to Ubuntu. OK.   not Ubuntu, rather, Kubunu. -- and
> remove
> >     Windows.
> >
> >     David Teague
> >     Double Bass in Fifths Tuning.
> >

> > Hey,
> >   If your ultimate goal is to be rid of windows then you may be better
> > off getting thunderbird in XP to look on your ext3 partition instead
> > of the other way around. It will make the eventual step of wiping the
> > XP partition that much less hassle.
> > Check out http://www.fs-driver.org for an XP ext2/3 driver.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Owen.
> >

> >     --
> >

> Hey, Owen
>
> Many thanks. It occurred to me after I had sent  that message that I
> might want to move the profile to the [K]Ubuntu side.
>
> I will need that driver to make ext2/3 available to XP. Is there a
> driver that enables XP to read/write the Reisserfs?

Hey,

Short answer: read only (AFAIK)
  The few that I've looked at are in various stages of beta/early release:
http://rfsd.sourceforge.net
  or are dedicated to read-only access:
http://www.p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html (backend) &
http://yareg.akucom.de/ (a GUI frontend)

A better question is do I want to use Reisserfs or ext3fs?

  I use reiserfs on my mythtv/fileserver which works beautifully, but for
windows compatability I think ext2/3 is the way to go.
Note, ntfs-3g drivers are quite usable, I just thought I'd throw the 'other
side' option in as it is what I've ended up using for my Gutsy/XP dualboot
desktop. I only really boot XP for gaming, but it's nice to have access
especially my document and download folders.

cheers,
Owen.