Uninstalled core-utils

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sat Apr 12 05:36:19 UTC 2008

Lorenzo Taylor wrote the following on 12.04.2008 01:22

> To attempt to recover your system without losing settings, you could try
> the following:
>
> Boot from the live CD
> Open a terminal window
> Manually mount your partitions (note that you must at least know the
> device associated with your / partition.)
> chroot to the mount point
> apt-get install coreutils

*DISCLAIMER: the following is untested*

I don't think this will work, because apt will not be able to install
anything without:
/bin/rm
/bin/cp
/bin/mv

But this idea with chroot will work i guess, when you copy the binaries from
an extracted coreutils.deb into the right places before it.

The desktop cd will have the coreutils.deb already onboard.
Extract it somewhere with:

$ dpkg -x coreutils_6.10-3ubuntu2_i386.deb .

(obvisouly this is the version i use from hardy ymmv)

then mount your / and cp the content of the extracted coreutils into the same
(right) places on your / .

Then cp the coreutils.deb onto your harddisc somewhere.

chroot into your system.

install coreutils again:

dpkg -i coreutils_6.10-3ubuntu2_i386.deb

/usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/YOURDEVICE
/usr/sbin/update-grub

umount
reboot