Read/write NTFS from Ubuntu

Jonathan Hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Fri Apr 11 21:20:04 UTC 2008

David B Teague wrote:
> I can boot a Knoppix CD then read NTFS file systems directly//. I think
> I  recall having actually written to an NTFS file system as well, and  I
> believe this is to be possible with Ubuntu is dual booted with XP. Can
> someone confirm this, please?
You may have been "writing" to a unionfs mount in Knoppix where the the
NTFS file system was actually read-only - you'd need to boot Knoppix and
take a look at what the actual mount parameters are. It is possible that
it is true read-write, but I'd doubt it.

At any rate, ntfs-3g (http://www.ntfs-3g.org/) is IMO the best way to
deal with NTFS volumes, and it the most compatible way to go. You can
install it via apt-get. I suggest that you read the FAQ stuff on the
project website.

jh