Gutsy unstable

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at marketingresources.com
Fri Apr 11 19:23:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:06:35 +0000 (UTC)
"Kenneth P. Turvey" <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> wrote:

--SNIP--
> Ok, I tried this on my system yesterday and I just had to reboot.  The
> symptoms were not quite the same as mentioned earlier, but I think it is
> the same problem.  I couldn't kill processes so there were no zombies
> created.  One processes running ipw3945 was eating an entire CPU.  I
> couldn't kill it.  I'm not sure what it does, but it had been churning
> along since the crash and had accumulated 600+ minutes of CPU time.
> Networking was completely toast.  I couldn't get Network Manager to
> reconnect to my wireless network.. or for that matter to even detect it.
> When I shutdown the system it didn't make it all the way down.  Network
> manager was complaining about something in going down.
>
> I should note that I wasn't completely stopped from creating new
> processes.  I tried running totem without any problem.
--SNIP--

ipw3945 is the driver for your Intel/PRO wireless card.  Apparently,
the slowness is a known issue for this card, as evidenced here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipw3945/+bug/103210

I'm not sure there's much you can do about it at the moment (and in
fact someone mentioned that the problem still exists in Hardy) other
than use a different wireless card.  I assume this one is built-in to
your computer, and therefore not much of an option. :(

Unfortunately, Intel doesn't make their hardware specs available to OSS
developers, so support either has to be reverse engineered, or a
wrapper for the windows drivers has to be used.

I'd say keep an eye on that bug for any updates to the problem.