Gutsy to Hardy

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Thu Apr 10 14:44:27 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
> | Shannon McMackin wrote:

> |> Hardy is not fully released yet.  The reason the GUI software updater
> |> does not automatically bump you to a new release is because many users
> |> will remain on a specific release, long-term.
> |>
> |> Changing all your /etc/apt/sorces.list entries from Gutsy to Hardy and
> |> then performing sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, that should get you to Hardy.
> |>

> | I have no files in my /etc/apt/sources.list.d folder.  What is
> supposed to be in there?  And how
> | would one change from Gutsy to Hardy???
> |
> | Joseph
> |

> I think someone already said this but here it is again.......
>

> open a terminal type
>
> sudo update-manager -d
>
> enter you password, and at the top of the update manager it will say " a
> new release is available click here to upgrade" or something like that.
>
> remember this is a beta release, its not final, you may have problems.
>
> most people are reporting no problems, including me.... but... better
> safe than sorry.... back up /home or any other important info to a usb
> drive or something.  good luck.
>

> - --
> Steve Reilly
>
> http://reillyblog.com

After losing lots of information and even having to start writing a manuscript twice, I learned to
have a second drive....   just for my important files.  In this case, it's an internal 80Gb USB
drive.  My C:drive (??) an 80 Gb Drive has only my operating system on it....   I'm planning on
getting a small drive for the OS and use this larger drive elsewhere.

Thanks to all for their wise advice...   it's deeply appreciated.  Y'alls knowledge amazes me.

Joseph