How do I unlock a file ? / SOLVED !

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Apr 10 03:28:59 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your efforts and explanations !
> Yes, ls -a showed me that single file with a "dot = hidden" !! ;-)
>
> That overlooked "dot", a first time experience for me, and especially
> "lock"
> at the end of the file name irritated me !!!
>
> I assumed that, with lock, the file may have a special thumb to keep it
> (b)lock(ed) !?

No, actually, the .lock prefix has no special meaning or permissions to
the file system, and would not affect any rm command.  I think wikipedia
has the best description of Lock files

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking#Lock_files

Basically, some program or script just needed to leave a reminder for
itself that something was not to be touched.