How do I unlock a file ? / SOLVED !

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Wed Apr 9 23:52:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 08:17 -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 12:05 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>
> > I overlooked a little dot at the begin !!!
> > So, my typing found no match and couldn't proceed. ;-(
> >
> > BTW one more question:
> > MythTV is a directory !
> > The last file was .qt ... and something !!
> >
> > All your hints tell me do remove a folder with "rm" !?
> > I always assumed "rm" is used to remove files !?
> > Isn't "rmdir" the command to remove a directory ???
>
> rmdir will only remove an empty directory.  rm -rf says remove a
> directory and all its contents recursively.  What the command does is
> remove all the regular files in every directory in the target tree and
> then remove the directories after they no longer have any file entries.
>
> As you have probably discovered the normal file matching does not match
> on any files or directories which start with a ".".  This is the Unix
> convention to "hide" files and directories.  You can see the hidden
> files and directories by running:
>
> ls -a
>
> The "-a" switch will print all the hidden files starting with a ".". You
> will see that every directory has two entries "." and ".." which are
> entries for the directory itself "." and the parent directory ".."  This
> is why "cd .." takes you to the parent directory and "./filename" refers
> to a file in the current directory.
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> System/Network Architect
> smoot at tic.com
> +1 480 922 7313
> cell: +1 602 451 9005

Hi and how do I address you correctly:
Smoot or Carl-Mitchell ?

Thanks a lot for your efforts and explanations !
Yes, ls -a showed me that single file with a "dot = hidden" !! ;-)

That overlooked "dot", a first time experience for me, and especially
"lock"
at the end of the file name irritated me !!!

I assumed that, with lock, the file may have a special thumb to keep it
(b)lock(ed) !?

Later, with some more experiments, I was able to remove properly
myself. ;-D

Thank you and cheers, svobi