Wireless Ad-hoc on ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 12:47:17 UTC 2008

Neil wrote:
> I always advise to use WEP. In the Netherlands leeching of unprotected
> networks is legal, while leeching of protected networks (even only
> WEP) is illegal. I do not know how it is in the rest of the world

It is probably illegal here in Germany as well, and it sure doesn't hurt
to use WEP (except it is more work and more error-prone). But it isn't
easy to find out who is the intruder, if there is one, so the legal part
isn't really relevant for me. I normally use WPA2 for my wireless
network, but that isn't available for ad-hoc networks. IMHO, for ad-hoc
networks the only safe method is using end to end encryption between the
machines, like ssh or vpn. Then it doesn't matter if the wireless link
has it's own encryption.

Nils