Wireless Ad-hoc on ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 11:46:12 UTC 2008

Parlotti wrote:
>  I have had to wrestle with the madwifi atheros drivers until I got em
> working. The recent brick wall I have run into is getting the wireless
> to join an xp  based ad-hoc network. I have read around and tried to
> put the wireless card into ad-hoc mode but none seem to work.

Well, I had trouble to get 2 Windows machines to _reliably_ communicate
with ad-hoc mode. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I don't know
much about Windows. However there was no problem between Ubuntu
machines :)

Anyway, this is for the Ubuntu side - I can't tell you how I got the
Windows side working. In a terminal enter these commands:

sudo wlanconfig ath0 destroy
sudo wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "mywlan" channel 1 txpower 10
sudo ifconfig ath0 192.168.12.34 up

Modify the parameters according to your preferences. I didn't try WEP
encryption because it isn't secure anyway. But if you want to try it,
consult the iwconfig man page for the necessary parameters.

Nils