Ubuntu 8.04 on the Acer Aspire 9920

Jeroen Vriesman linuxificator at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:31:41 UTC 2008

Hi all,

got myself a nice laptop this weekend, the acer aspire 9920, and feeling
adventurous, I installed ubuntu 8.04 beta, amd 64 on it, using software raid
on the two disks.

Most of it is working great!! Even the nvidia stuff is just a matter of
installing the drivers from the package manager, the camera works right out
of the box, many thanks to the ubuntu team.

I have some issues, and maybe someone here wants to say something about it:

1) The memory.
It's a bit weird, the machine has 2GB of memory, but the "free" command only
shows 1G, any idea why?
2) The SD card reader, a TI thing (I will post lspci later). It works only
once, doesn't matter if I just pull out the SD card or umount it, the first
time it works, after that I need a reboot to make it work a second time.
3) The audio:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
Works, but has very low volume, I can see all the stuff in the volume
control, but only get reasonable volume if I set everything to max.
But, the system beep is loud! with max volume the beep on the terminal wakes
up everyone! (yep, these are the things I need to do in the middle of the
night).

Well, that was it, thanks in advance for any feedback.