bad video mode booting from 7.10 cd

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Sun Apr 6 21:24:03 UTC 2008

Am Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:53:14 -0600
schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>:

> Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm booting my pc with ubuntu 7.10. I'm totally unable to start a
> > correct video mode. Tried 'safe grafics mode', '800x600',
> > '1024x768', 'noacpi', 'nolapic'.... and nothing.
> >
> > I get a totally messed up video mode whatever I try.
> >
> > It's an old Pentium II @ 300MHz.
> > Video card is a Matrox Millenium II AGP.
> > Monitor is also very old (15'', Samtron).
> >
> > I've been using Debian4 on this setup and I get 800x600 'out of the
> > box'. Windows also works fine.
> >
> > What can I do to find a solution ?

You could try the alternate iso, big chance that it works.

> > thank you very much
> >
> > Joao
> >

>     I suggest you get a new computer and monitor. It will be just
> domb luck if you ever get that old stuff to work.

Nonsense, this old Matrox Card is a very good one, with a much higher
signal quality than the current Nvidias and ATIs. There is no reason
why the old monitor shouldn't show the 800x600 from the Matrox Card.
You can't say that the computer is generally too old until you know
what the OP wants to do with it.
And if it is really true that Ubuntu doesn't work on it, then he
should better drop Ubuntu and use Debian or better even Putty or
Damn Small Linux instead of buying new Hardware.

Gerald