Install

Sun Apr 6 00:13:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:48:55 -0400
Kevin Merinsky <kevinmerinsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking for help installing Ubuntu on my Mac. I have a brand new
> intel mac and i have an old PC i wanted Ubuntu to be on both. If any
> one has ideas on how to make a compatible FTP server out of the PC and
> Desktop client on my mac, I'm all ears.

What do you mean by your last sentence?

If it's to boot the mac from the other box with PXE over TFTP, see [1]

If you want an FTP server on the pc, and an ftp client on the mac, your best bet really is to have a look in Aptitude (if Ubuntu's on both). I like proftpd and gftp, but there's plenty to choose from.
If you want to have an FTP client on the mac, i've heard good things about fetch[2], but had little reason to use it myself. OSX does have a command line FTP client.

If you want to share files nicely over the local area network the two machines reside on, you want to look at nfs.

[1] http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php/Ubuntu_PXE_Install
[2] http://fetchsoftworks.com/downloads.html
--
Avi Greenbury <god at lordandmaker.co.uk>