[ping - need added help/suggestions] Re: Gutsy Upgrade problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 5 22:26:28 UTC 2008

On 04/04/2008 10:32 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
> It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
> access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
> Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think this tells me my Via
> controller is not compatible with libata.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Interesting. Then again, it's a fresh install so it also wouldn't have
any issue with whatever may have been modified in your Feisty system. I
wonder if a fresh Gutsy install would have done the same.

Is the the bug that you used to change your
piix
ide_generic
ide_cd
ide_disk
etc?

You might have a scan through:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=busybox&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=initramfs&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>

to see if you can spot something in there that relates.

I also see that your bug is getting a response:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/212042>
So that's some progress :-)

BTW: you can scan the entire bug system by going first to:
https://launchpad.net/
 click on Bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/
 and enter a keyword

Also this might be of some interest to you:
http://www.tkarena.com/forums/

Anyway, I'm _very_ glad you got it working again! :-)