Mounting DVD RW [was Recognizing Drives]

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Sat Apr 5 21:23:36 UTC 2008

Joseph wrote:
 > PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
 >> *De (From):*Joseph
 >> *Enviado el (Send):* vie 04/04/2008 13:58
 >> *Para (To):* Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
 >> *Asunto (Subject):* Re: Recognizing Drives
 >>
 >>  >> I think Linux desktops (freedesktops) would  use the message: "new
 >>  > hardware found" and use generic (or customized ) drivers.
 >>  >
 >>  > Regards.
 >>  >

 >>  >I've hooked up both the zip drive and a CD/DVD Burner and neither was
 >> recognized by Ubuntu...
 >>
 >> I am specially worried about the DVD burner. Do you have more CD/DVD
 >> units ?.  Can you include the make, model and port (USB, IDE...) of
 >> the disk (CD/DVD) units ?.
 >>
 >> Regards
 >>
 >> Pedro.
 >>

 > When you'd written this, it HIT me....    like a 2x4 right between
the ears.

 > You'd asked "Do you have more CD/DVD units ?"  Well, yes I do.  I
never had to be concerned about
 > setting DVD players.  Seemed they all turned out right just the way I
put them in.  I did have
 > another one in there.  I pulled out both (when I was checking for the
make/model) and as I was
 > looking them over, I realized they both had jumpers on them.  I tried
them different ways and none
 > worked until I set the burner as master and the other one as slave....
 >
 > The CD reader didn't like being master and the burner as slave....
but indeed they are both now
 > being read and working....   well, I haven't checked the burner yet,
but the reader in it works.

 > You folks never cease to amaze me....    if you don't have an answer,
you prod until I figure it
 > out, and that's good.
 >
 > Thanks for everything so far....   I hope you all don't tire of my
problems....   I am a novice to
 > the extreme at Linux.
 >
 > Now if I can get the Zip Drive working.  Speaking of that, I am STILL
looking for that x window....
 >    <grin>
 >

 > I tried using it and it says "Unable to mount media."  I'm sure
there's a command to make it mount
 > this drive.  Can you give me a details description how to get to the
document and edit....   of
 > course my first attempt at editing didn't work....   can't save...
<sigh>

I've been searching through the archives and found nothing to help me
get Ubuntu to mount my DVD RW.

I have a "NEC Corp CDR 300IB or 3001B" that does fine....   but I cannot
fine a reference to it in the files....

I also have the Optowrite DVD RW Model DD0201 which cannot be mounted.
I've searched but cannot find info on mounting this drive.

Joseph