minimum RAM for Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 5 19:23:10 UTC 2008

On 04/05/2008 08:28 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 01/04/2008, Hilary Naylor <hilary.naylor at ousd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Ubuntu (or Edubuntu) on a Dell latitude CPt laptop
>>  that was donated to my school. The installation stalls at the point where
>>  there is a brown rectangle on the screen and the icon for Nautilus appears.
>>  The laptop has only 129MB RAM (and a 6GB hard disk). Is this the reason it
>>  is stalling? Is there a minimal version of Ubuntu I could use? I am afraid
>>  that more RAM for the laptop will be too expensive.
>>

> Must the laptop be Ubuntu, Hilary? There are several Linux distros
> designed for such machines, such as DamnSmallLinux. They can be
> configured with most of the same applications as Ubuntu, but I would
> recommend specifically staying away from Open Office until OOo3 comes
> out. OOo 2.x are resource hogs, 3 may be better.

Not if the the 3.0 development snapshot is any indication. I have 2.3.1,
2.4.0, and 3.0dev on this machine. Just opening Writer on each and
looking at htop:

Version		Mem%
2.3.1		6.2%
2.4.0		6.4%
3.0dev		6.4%

However, there are some significant memory enhancements in 2.4 & 3.0 so
that they won't use & steal/hold as much memory as 2.3.x.