Thunderbird / Enigmail not asking for a password

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Sat Apr 5 12:45:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:20:47 +0000, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:07:14 +0000, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Somewhere in the last set of the daily dozen updates on Hardy,
>> Thunderbird and/or Enigmail have stopped asking for my passphrase and
>> refuse to sign or encrypt email.  This has slowed down my
>> communications greatly.  If I try to send email that needs to be
>> signed, Thunderbird just sits there for a long time and then asks if my
>> network setting are correct (not the right error message at all).  I
>> have to tell it to turn off the rules and send it unsigned.  Ditto with
>> encryption.  At no time does it ask for the passphrase like it should,
>> and like it did.
>>
>> I have reported a bug, but I'm wondering if anyone has a workaround
>> that they would share.
>
> Anyone have an idea where to begin looking?
>
> What's the name of the passphrase cache that Enigmail uses?

Just FYI in case someone else falls into the problem, its not in
Thunderbird or Enigmail, its was due to a bug in Seahorse:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/183514

I fixed my problem by looking at the default setup of another system and
noting that it did not have:

   /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent

I renamed that file, restarted X, and all is well.  Seahorse is running
by itself rather than under gpg-agent:

   /usr/bin/seahorse-agent --execute x-session-manager

I'm not sure where the file came from or why it was there.  If someone
knows, please leave a message.

...Ken